Move over avocado toast!! A new kid is in town…
Crusty sourdough toast lavishly dressed with smooth velvety hummus and sweet garlic & balsamic roasted tomatoes. Simple, rustic and yet somewhat opulent.
This hummus toast recipe is so straightforward, a step-by-step is almost offensive. A dish as uncomplicated as this relies less on the cooking and more so on great ingredients. These are not to be messed with:
- Bread: Bad bread = sad toast. For me, it’s sourdough all day every day. Other crusty loaves would work well too; just make sure it’s fresh and you’ll be on to a winner. If you are gluten-free, opt for the best gluten-free crusty bread you can find. This one and this one are both good options.
- Hummus: You can’t make the best hummus toast ever, without my recipe for the best hummus ever. DROOL. But, if you are set on using shop brought, make sure it’s of good quality and made with extra virgin olive oil.
- Tomatoes: The sweeter the better. Opt for vine tomatoes for superior flavour and an elegant looking dish.
This hummus toast recipe is ideal for breakfast, brunch, lunch or even a light dinner. Whether you serve it modestly on a Sunday morning or with a smug smile at a banquet brunch, it’s sure to become a regular on your kitchen table.
If you do make these balsamic roasted tomato & hummus toasts, please let me know by tagging me in a picture on insta @georgieeatsuk, using the #georgieeats or leaving me a comment down below. Keep smiling!
BALSAMIC ROASTED TOMATOES & HUMMUS TOAST
Crusty sourdough toast topped generously with silky hummus and jewels of sweet balsamic roasted tomatoes. The perfect breakfast, brunch or lunch! Vegan, GF & healthy.
- 2-4 vines of cherry tomatoes (dependent on size)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp hummus
- 4 slices crusty sourdough bread
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Sprinkle sunflower seeds
Preheat the oven to 170°c fan/190°c/375°f.
Mix the garlic, balsamic and olive oil in a small bowl. Place your vine tomatoes into an ovenproof dish and drizzle them with the balsamic mixture and a generous pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Roast in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until blistering and soft.
Toast your bread to however you like it, then spread generously with hummus. Arrange the toast between two plates and top with the roasted tomatoes and a spoonful of the balsamic mixture from the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds plus a grind of black pepper and enjoy whilst still hot.
These toasts are best served immediately.
You can, of course, use a shop brought hummus for this recipe, but why not try making your own?! My best hummus ever recipe is easy and most definitely worth the extra 5 minutes.
A few ingredient notes: